Synthesis 5-MeO-DMT from 5-MeO-Tryptamine

WillD

Expert
Reaction score
TNpxDuS7Aq

Begin Write-up: 5.95 g (26.25 mmol) of 5-MeO-Tryptamine HCL was added to a 3-neck round bottom flask with a thermocouple inserted into the middle neck, and dissolved in 150 mL MeOH. Crushed KOH pellets were added to convert the tryptamine salt to the freebase form (pH ~9). MeOH and dry ice were placed in a bath below the flask, and the mixture was allowed to cool to between -15 and -20 degrees Celsius. 5.0 g NaBH4 (132.15 mmol) was dissolved in 12.5 mL of a 3% aqueous KOH solution and placed in the freezer to cool to below 15 degrees Celsius. A second solution of 37% aqueous formaldehyde stabilized by 12% methanol was placed in the freezer to cool below 15 degrees.

Once cooled, both solutions were added to addition funnels and the dropwise addition of both solutions began. Due to stoichiometric and mechanistic concerns, the formaldehyde solution was added at twice the rate of the borohydride solution (See my previous post for helpful comments explaining why this is). The temperature of the reaction during this addition should be monitored closely, as the formation and subsequent reduction of the imine is an exothermic process. After both additions were complete, the reaction mixture was allowed to continue stirring, with additional dry ice and methanol added to the bath containing the reaction flask to maintain reaction temperatures between -15 and -20 degrees. In the snippet of his show, I believe Hamilton says to just below 0 degrees, and this initially confused me, but I cannot stress enough that this reaction should be kept below -15. Just trust me. Your yield and reaction specificity is greatly aided by the reduced temperature.

The reaction was periodically monitored by TLC, by removing an aliquot of the reaction mixture, adding a small amount of water, and then extracting this aliquot with a small amount of ether, and then spotting the ether layer against 5-MeO-Tryptamine freebase. This was originally one of my main gripes with the original synthesis, as the solvent system used in the show produced non-ideal separation which caused me to quench my reaction prematurely the first time this reaction was running. From previous experience, I know that 8:2 CHCl3/MeOH is an excellent solvent system for tryptamine compounds, so this was what I used. It may not be the perfect solvent system, but when combined with a few drops of NH4OH, the separation between the methylated and non-methylated tryptamine was more than adequate (Rf difference of ~0.3).

After running for 2 hs, the TLC showed no more consumption of the starting material, so a small amount (0.25g) of NaBH4 was added to see if the reaction would proceed further. At 3 h, the starting material spot had decreased a small amount, and at 4 h the consumption of the starting material had stopped once again. Hamilton mentions the possibility of spots for both the N-methyl 5-MeO-Tryptamine and the Pictet-Spengler cyclization product 6-MeO-THBC, but like him, I only observed spots for the 5-MeO-Tryptamine and 5-MeO-DMT.

In order to not alter the process of the reaction any further, no further formaldehyde or NaBH4 were added, and the reaction was allowed to warm to room temperature. The MeOH was stripped from the reaction and the residue was resuspended in water, and extracted with CHCl3. The use of extraction solvent was another part of the reaction which deviated from Hamiltons approach, as previously published (see last post) papers had found chloroform to be more efficient than ethyl acetate, but ethyl acetate can be used to keep the reaction green or if chloroform is not readily available. I am not sure why the tryptamine was not entirely consumed, as the ratio of reagents that were used matched those used in Hamiltons' show, and he saw complete transformation of the starting material. I can only assume that the reagents I have are of a lesser quality (old) or that I kept the NaBH4 in the freezer for too long, and that it had lost some of its potency by the time I had added it. But I digress.

The CHCl3 was removed under vacuum and the resulting brown-pink oil was dried under reduced pressure. I have found that the presence of a pink color in the product tends to signify some amount of 5-MeO-Tryptamine still remaining. The weight of the dry oil was 5.8 grams before any purification. After sitting over the weekend at room temperature, some delicate tan crystals appeared in the oil. Attempts at removing the solid from the oil were unsuccessful, so column chromatography was employed now that a suitable solvent system with acceptable separation had been found. 8:2 CHCl3/MeOH with a few drops of NH4OH was used, and many fractions were obtained which contained only the 5-MeO-DMT, and no 5-MeO-Tryptamine. The progress of the 5-MeO-DMT down the column was distinctly noticeable via long wave UV light, although the product continued to come down off of the column long after the initial luminescent band had passed.

I am not sure what the consensus is here, but I prefer not to distill partially because I am bad at it, and secondly because I am terrified of heating low boiling point compounds such as these, as I have had some bad luck with this in the past. If you have the ability and/or the technique to do fractional vacuum distillation, go for it. I wouldn't say that I am particularly good at column chromatography, either, but the solvent system used makes this almost-foolproof. Once again, I digress.

The fractions containing the product and only the product were combined and stripped of solvent under reduced vacuum. The resulting amber colored oil was allowed to sit once again at room temperature, and the product was of sufficient purity that it spontaneously crystallized into long, thin, waxy amber crystals of pure 5-MeO-DMT freebase. The oxalate salt is very easily prepared by dissolving the freebase in ether, and adding a saturated solution of oxalic acid in ether to that. I kept mine as the freebase.

Theoretical yield: 5.73 g. Actual yield: 4.44 g. Percent yield: 73%.

Last edited by a moderator:

deinemudda69

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hello,

thank you very much for this interesting information.
Would the procedure also for for the synthesis of DMT if the 5-MeO-Tryptamine is replaced by Tryptamine?

Kind regards

deinemudda69

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.

Text and video miss detailed information about the amount of formaldehyde needed.
I assume one will need at last 2 mole formaldehyde per 1 mole of mexamine.
The the Pictet–Spengler reaction / betacarboline formation seems to be the greatest threat when methylating tryptamine and its derivates.
Is it better to add formaldehyde in excess or will this increase the likelihood of the Pictet–Spengler reaction?

What makes me skeptical about the synthesis of Hamilton is the relatively high yield. I wonder if the method of Hamilton was independently verified?

Simon et al 2010 (DOI 10.1002/dta.142) report a yield of 2.9% for DMT synthesis when replacing the commonly used NaBH3CN by NaBH4.
Mostly tetrahydro-β-carboline is produced when using NaBH4.

Of course the use of NaBH4 is favorable over NaBH3CN as it is easy to synthesize and avoids toxic cyanomethyl-groups in the final product.

I also wonder why 5-MeO-tryptamine is used while tryptamine can be synthesized more easily by decarboxylating readily available tryptophan.

Kind regards

victorplum

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.

Text and video miss detailed information about the amount of formaldehyde needed.
I assume one will need at last 2 mole formaldehyde per 1 mole of mexamine.
The the Pictet–Spengler reaction / betacarboline formation seems to be the greatest threat when methylating tryptamine and its derivates.
Is it better to add formaldehyde in excess or will this increase the likelihood of the Pictet–Spengler reaction?

What makes me skeptical about the synthesis of Hamilton is the relatively high yield. I wonder if the method of Hamilton was independently verified?

Simon et al 2010 (DOI 10.1002/dta.142) report a yield of 2.9% for DMT synthesis when replacing the commonly used NaBH3CN by NaBH4.
Mostly tetrahydro-β-carboline is produced when using NaBH4.

Of course the use of NaBH4 is favorable over NaBH3CN as it is easy to synthesize and avoids toxic cyanomethyl-groups in the final product.

I also wonder why 5-MeO-tryptamine is used while tryptamine can be synthesized more easily by decarboxylating readily available tryptophan.

Kind regards
deinemudda69The text William posted is from a reddit user who have actually tried the Hamilton's synthesis, for me that counts as a verification (unluckily the user is now deleted). In the comments he also stated that the used reagents were old (not really adding much), so if someone has enough experience I think they can reach the same results.

MadHatter

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I'd say, from the reaction put forth in the Hamilton video, that the molar ratio of tryptamine:formaldehyde should be 1:2.
After all, the tryptamine needs to react with formaldehyde twice to be converted.

MadHatter

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Kind regards
deinemudda69
It's a reaction that really needs trying out. I have a number of projects on the way, but I'll squeeze that in too. If that reaction can be done with a decent yield it's very interesting. 2,9% does not sound like it's worth the effort though?
Also, I need to get my hands on the borohydride. It's a bitch, and a really expensive one, to get a hold of. You say it's an easy synth, I'd LOVE to read a description of that!

And how do you propose the decarboxylation of tryptophan is done? I've seen one write-up where o-xenon and acetophenone were used, but it seems overly complicated. Any other tips?

Last edited:

victorplum

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Did anyone attempted this synthesis on a larger scale / knows if it can be done in the order of 50g instead of 5? I have my good chemistry knowledge, but scaling was never discussed on any Organic exam I took so I can't figure out myself

iLLCiD

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Edit: Old tread

highTEMPO

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
sodium triacetoxyborohydride could be useful here if one is reluctant to use NaCNBH3

farukhocaoglu

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
this method seems doable for my country's restrictions but I don't have any LiAlH4 or NaBH4 laying around and probably can't get it from China either, and knowing that there isn't a way to make those in an amateur lab, what other options do I have to use as a reducing agent?

farukhocaoglu

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Can formic acid be used as a hydride donor instead of NaBH4 or NaBH3CN? I have heard that Pictet-Spengler reaction is the reason that this isn't possible, but why is it possible for borohydrides then?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Can formic acid be used as a hydride donor instead of NaBH4 or NaBH3CN? I have heard that Pictet-Spengler reaction is the reason that this isn't possible, but why is it possible for borohydrides then?
farukhocaoglu
Can formic acid be used as a hydride donor instead of NaBH4 or NaBH3CN?
Hello, No
I have heard that Pictet-Spengler reaction is the reason that this isn't possible, but why is it possible for borohydrides then?
I guess you'll get cyclic product in such pathway
MSGwh48IUo

huanf

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
View attachment 1718

Begin Write-up: 5.95 g (26.25 mmol) of 5-MeO-Tryptamine HCL was added to a 3-neck round bottom flask with a thermocouple inserted into the middle neck, and dissolved in 150 mL MeOH. Crushed KOH pellets were added to convert the tryptamine salt to the freebase form (pH ~9). MeOH and dry ice were placed in a bath below the flask, and the mixture was allowed to cool to between -15 and -20 degrees Celsius. 5.0 g NaBH4 (132.15 mmol) was dissolved in 12.5 mL of a 3% aqueous KOH solution and placed in the freezer to cool to below 15 degrees Celsius. A second solution of 37% aqueous formaldehyde stabilized by 12% methanol was placed in the freezer to cool below 15 degrees.

Once cooled, both solutions were added to addition funnels and the dropwise addition of both solutions began. Due to stoichiometric and mechanistic concerns, the formaldehyde solution was added at twice the rate of the borohydride solution (See my previous post for helpful comments explaining why this is). The temperature of the reaction during this addition should be monitored closely, as the formation and subsequent reduction of the imine is an exothermic process. After both additions were complete, the reaction mixture was allowed to continue stirring, with additional dry ice and methanol added to the bath containing the reaction flask to maintain reaction temperatures between -15 and -20 degrees. In the snippet of his show, I believe Hamilton says to just below 0 degrees, and this initially confused me, but I cannot stress enough that this reaction should be kept below -15. Just trust me. Your yield and reaction specificity is greatly aided by the reduced temperature.

The reaction was periodically monitored by TLC, by removing an aliquot of the reaction mixture, adding a small amount of water, and then extracting this aliquot with a small amount of ether, and then spotting the ether layer against 5-MeO-Tryptamine freebase. This was originally one of my main gripes with the original synthesis, as the solvent system used in the show produced non-ideal separation which caused me to quench my reaction prematurely the first time this reaction was running. From previous experience, I know that 8:2 CHCl3/MeOH is an excellent solvent system for tryptamine compounds, so this was what I used. It may not be the perfect solvent system, but when combined with a few drops of NH4OH, the separation between the methylated and non-methylated tryptamine was more than adequate (Rf difference of ~0.3).

After running for 2 hs, the TLC showed no more consumption of the starting material, so a small amount (0.25g) of NaBH4 was added to see if the reaction would proceed further. At 3 h, the starting material spot had decreased a small amount, and at 4 h the consumption of the starting material had stopped once again. Hamilton mentions the possibility of spots for both the N-methyl 5-MeO-Tryptamine and the Pictet-Spengler cyclization product 6-MeO-THBC, but like him, I only observed spots for the 5-MeO-Tryptamine and 5-MeO-DMT.

In order to not alter the process of the reaction any further, no further formaldehyde or NaBH4 were added, and the reaction was allowed to warm to room temperature. The MeOH was stripped from the reaction and the residue was resuspended in water, and extracted with CHCl3. The use of extraction solvent was another part of the reaction which deviated from Hamiltons approach, as previously published (see last post) papers had found chloroform to be more efficient than ethyl acetate, but ethyl acetate can be used to keep the reaction green or if chloroform is not readily available. I am not sure why the tryptamine was not entirely consumed, as the ratio of reagents that were used matched those used in Hamiltons' show, and he saw complete transformation of the starting material. I can only assume that the reagents I have are of a lesser quality (old) or that I kept the NaBH4 in the freezer for too long, and that it had lost some of its potency by the time I had added it. But I digress.

The CHCl3 was removed under vacuum and the resulting brown-pink oil was dried under reduced pressure. I have found that the presence of a pink color in the product tends to signify some amount of 5-MeO-Tryptamine still remaining. The weight of the dry oil was 5.8 grams before any purification. After sitting over the weekend at room temperature, some delicate tan crystals appeared in the oil. Attempts at removing the solid from the oil were unsuccessful, so column chromatography was employed now that a suitable solvent system with acceptable separation had been found. 8:2 CHCl3/MeOH with a few drops of NH4OH was used, and many fractions were obtained which contained only the 5-MeO-DMT, and no 5-MeO-Tryptamine. The progress of the 5-MeO-DMT down the column was distinctly noticeable via long wave UV light, although the product continued to come down off of the column long after the initial luminescent band had passed.

I am not sure what the consensus is here, but I prefer not to distill partially because I am bad at it, and secondly because I am terrified of heating low boiling point compounds such as these, as I have had some bad luck with this in the past. If you have the ability and/or the technique to do fractional vacuum distillation, go for it. I wouldn't say that I am particularly good at column chromatography, either, but the solvent system used makes this almost-foolproof. Once again, I digress.

The fractions containing the product and only the product were combined and stripped of solvent under reduced vacuum. The resulting amber colored oil was allowed to sit once again at room temperature, and the product was of sufficient purity that it spontaneously crystallized into long, thin, waxy amber crystals of pure 5-MeO-DMT freebase. The oxalate salt is very easily prepared by dissolving the freebase in ether, and adding a saturated solution of oxalic acid in ether to that. I kept mine as the freebase.

William Dampierhave you tried this method?why not just use 5-MeO-tryptamine as Hamilton do?I think he dissolved potassium hydroxide and sodium borohydride together, presumably using potassium hydroxide as a base catalyst

T 3

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So does or would this give you same high as using Bufo alvarius

gonki

Don't buy from me
Reaction score

"electrophilicity of the iminium ion generated from the condensation of the aldehyde and amine under acid conditions. This explains the need for an acid catalyst in most cases, as the imine is not electrophilic enough for ring closure but the iminium ion is capable of undergoing the reaction." - Hamilton using KOH to make Hight ph propably to stable ph 14

In my opinion Hamilton reaction is working, you must give more energy to make ring than addition CH2/CH3 branch. Springel reaction propably do in ph 2-4.

It is clearly stated that Formaldehyde forms an imine and HCL helps to close the ring.

PseudoMicroGravity

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
View attachment 1718

William D.Very good synthesis write up William, thank you!

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect

• The BB Forum team is looking for cooperation:

• Traffic arbitrage specialists
    • Spammers
    • Advertising agencies
    • Bloggers/Vloggers
    • TOR sites directories
    • Creative people who can create viral content
    • Administrators of Telegram Channels and Groups

We will pay more for your traffic than our competitors! $0.1 per visitor!!!If you are interested in, write to the administrator.