• Welcome to the forum of professional participants of the drug market!

Here you will get all the necessary information about organizing a laboratory of any size, from a small kitchen at home to an industrial facility.
    And if you have your own production, here you will find all the relevant information to improve efficiency and safety.
    In the sections of the forum you will find:

• Methods of synthesis and analysis;
    • Suppliers of chemicals and equipment;
    • Descriptions of the pharmacological action of substances;
    • Business technologies.

The Big List of Excuses- legal uses for chemicals

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this since Pinkman House isn't around anymore. I'll try here.

So you've ordered some chems in small quantities, and had the bad luck of getting them caught on import control or customs. If you ordered major quantities you're probably screwed whatever you say, but say you're trying out a new route or a new synth with hobbyist quantities- or say that you ARE a hobbyist. Then you'll probably be asked what they're for. Time for the Big List Of Feeble Excuses!

I'll start:

Phenol- "I'm making paracetamol. It's a lot of fun and not illegal. Also, I'm a a hobbyist and I would never ingest it or give it to someone else."

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
Also, here you can post chemicals that you request a good excuse for. I'll start here also:

Sodium Nitrite
Sodium Borohydride

ACAB

Reaction score
Sodium Borohydride
can be used for bleaching or to produce a bleaching agent, it is also used as a research object for hydrogen cells in cars.

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
Can be wonderfully used as poison bait for small and larger rodents.
Yes, although there's too many available legal alternatives for that. I'm thinking the best excuses are where you admit you're fooling around with chemistry, but you're doing harmless experiments.

But for sodium nitrite, I found it's used as a fragrance for fish lures. Sold as that in the US.

oldkaw

Reaction score
Excellent stump remover. Drill holes in said stump. Pour nitrate in holes. Pour charcoal lighter fluid in/on area. let soak 10 minutes. Light that bitch. Stump will be quite degraded by morning. Rinse and repeat.

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
Excellent stump remover. Drill holes in said stump. Pour nitrate in holes. Pour charcoal lighter fluid in/on area. let soak 10 minutes. Light that bitch. Stump will be quite degraded by morning. Rinse and repeat.

That would work for nitrates, yes. Mostly potassium nitrate. But this was nitrITES.

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
Oh, and then there's scent chemistry, esterifications of alcohols.
Concentrated sulphuric acid (catalyst)
Acetic anhydride

could both be used for making different scents by acetylation of a range of alcohols. For example benzyl alcohol, which would produce peach smell. You could also make banzaldehyde with it.

ryry1984

Reaction score
methylamine base

and this one might be silly but i have to put it:

p2p

can we do a similar thread to this but with glassware?

why would i want a rotovap
why would i want 10000ml rb flask etc

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
methylamine base

and this one might be silly but i have to put it:

p2p

can we do a similar thread to this but with glassware?

why would i want a rotovap
why would i want 10000ml rb flask etc
Sorry, I think P2P is too close to the final product to excuse. You could potentially try to claim some perfume chemistry, but no-one would buy it.

A rotovap is a perfect machine for a lot of chemistry. You'd just have to make someone believe you have the funds to buy a toy for €800 for your innocent little hobby. I've seen worse though- people buying bikes, shoes and skies for way more than that.
A 10 L RB is pushing it though. Hard to explain.

DocX

Solutions
Reaction score
Benzaldehyde, nitrobenzaldehyde: Indigo synthesis. "Well, officer, I always thought the synthesis of dyes is SO interesting!"

Actually, dyes are a great source of excuses. All depends on the scale, of course.