Tramadol (Ultram) synthesis

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals

Introduction
6rNxX0Sqsj

In this topic, you can learn the synthesis of Tramadol (Ultram). This synthetic way presented as two-step path with additional synthesis of 3-lithium anisole precursor in the second one-pot synthesis stage. This method is elementary and don't take a lot of expensive glassware or reagents. Cyclohexanone (1) synthesis from cyclohexanol is represented in the following theme.

Tramadol [2-(dimethylaminomethyl)-1-(3-ethoxyphenyl)cyclohexanol] has two stereogenic centers at the cyclohexane ring. Thus, 2-(dimethylaminomethyl)-1-(3-methoxyphenyl)cyclohexanol may exist in four different configurational forms: The synthetic pathway leads to the racemate (1:1 mixture) of (1R,2R)-isomer and the (1S,2S)-isomer as the main products. Minor amounts of the racemic mixture of the (1R,2S)-isomer and the (1S,2R)-isomer are formed as well. The isolation of the (1R,2R)-isomer and the (1S,2S)-isomer from the diastereomeric minor racemate [(1R,2S)-isomer and (1S,2R)-isomer] is realized by the recrystallization of the hydrochlorides. The drug tramadol is a racemate of the hydrochlorides of the (1R,2R)-(+)- and the (1S,2S)-(−)-enantiomers. The resolution of the racemate [(1R,2R)-(+)-isomer / (1S,2S)-(−)-isomer] was described employing (R)-(−)- or (S)-(+)-mandelic acid. This process does not find industrial application, since tramadol is used as a racemate, despite known different physiological effects of the (1R,2R)- and (1S,2S)-isomers because the racemate showed higher analgesic activity than either enantiomer in animals and in humans.
HxuN2FVW3f

Equipment and glassware:

Reagents:

• Glacial acetic acid, 20 mL;
  • Dimethylamine hydrochloride 0.652 g, 8 mmol;
  • Cyclohexanone (1) 1.7 mL, 1.32 g, 16 mmol;
  • Paraformaldehyde 0.24 g, 8 mmol;
  • Acetone ~100 mL;
  • 3-Bromoanisol (3) 0.823 g, 4.4 mmol;
  • Tetrahydrofuran (THF) 10 mL;
  • n-Butyllithium (n-BuLi) 1.75 M 2.5 mL, 4.4 mmol;
  • Dry ice (solid CO2);
  • Distilled water, 30 mL;
  • Diethyl ether (Et2O) 95 mL;
  • Sodium sulfate (NaSO4) or Magnesium sulpfate (MgSO4) 100 g anhydrous;
  • Hydrochloric acid (HCl) diethyl ether solution.
9ukoAWNdLa

Tramadol hydrochloride [(±)-trans-2-[(Dimethylamino)methyl]-1-(m-methoxyphenyl)cyclohexanol hydrochloride]
Boiling Point: 388.1 °C at 760 mm Hg;
Melting Point: 180-181 °C;
Molecular Weight: 299.836 g/mol;
Density: 1.047 g/mL (20 °C);
CAS Number: 36282-47-0.

2–Dimethylaminomethylcyclohexanone hydrochloride (2)

A mixture of glacial acetic acid (20 mL), dimethylamine hydrochloride (0.652 g, 8 mmol), cyclohexanone (1) (1.7 mL, 1.32 g, 16 mmol) and paraformaldehyde (0.24 g, 8 mmol), was refluxed for 3 h in a 100 mL round bottom flask with reflux condenser. The acetic acid and the excess of cyclohexanone were removed in vacuo and the residue was purified by crystallization from acetone and obtained (2) as white crystals (1.16 g, 76 %), mp 154-155 °C.
N2Bgkd3hnQ
Tramadol hydrochloride (5)
To a solution of 3-bromoanisol (3) (0.823 g, 4.4 mmol) in dry THF (10 mL), 1.75 M n-BuLi (2.5 mL, 4.4 mmol) was added dropwise at -78 °C (with dry ice in Dewar bath) under inert (argon or nitrogent) atmosphere in 50 mL pear shaped flask.
AgIjCMLiKJ
The mixture was stirred at the same temperature during 45 min and a solution of 2-dimethylaminomethyl-cyclohexanone (2) (0.62 g, 4 mmol free base) in dry THF was added dropwise. The resulting mixture was stirred at -78 °C for 2 h and the solvent was removed in vacuo.
KQWfSLrcBR

Water (30 mL) was added, and the product was extracted with ethyl ether (3 x 30 mL). The extracts were dried over sodium sulfate, filtered on Buchner flask and evaporated in vacuum. The residue was treated with 5 mL of ethyl ether saturated with hydrogen chloride; the ethyl ether was evaporated in vacuo and the resulting solid was purified by crystallization from acetone. Tramadol hydrochloride (1) was obtained as white crystals (0.94 g, 78.6 %), mp 168-175 °C.

Last edited:

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Thank you very much for this synthesis process ☺️
I have some questions !

1 - First, I see a mistake, or nonsense : in the image, the Mannich.HCl (2–Dimethylaminomethylcyclohexanone hydrochloride) is well drawed with the HCl part, and in the text, it is well precised « 4mmol free base » so something is wrong, and probably the image I guess, because the patent US6469213 speak about passing the Mannich hydrochloride to Base, with expensive solvants.
If it would be possible to don’t pass the Mannich.HCl in a base (free base) it would be really easier.

2 – Why use the low temperature of -78°C at the contrary of the patent who rise the temperature at 50°C ?
Because it is really simpler to do this at classic lab temperatures… Maybe to avoid reflux ?

I guess/see the lithium compound part could be replace by solid Magnesium powder who is really more cheap and accessible.

3 – Does Toluene dissolve Tramadol hydrochloride ? I mean, to replace the ethyl ether of the above process.

Thank you for your help 😌
And I wish a nice new year to everyone !

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Thank you very much for this synthesis process ☺️
I have some questions !

1 - First, I see a mistake, or nonsense : in the image, the Mannich.HCl (2–Dimethylaminomethylcyclohexanone hydrochloride) is well drawed with the HCl part, and in the text, it is well precised « 4mmol free base » so something is wrong, and probably the image I guess, because the patent US6469213 speak about passing the Mannich hydrochloride to Base, with expensive solvants.
If it would be possible to don’t pass the Mannich.HCl in a base (free base) it would be really easier.

2 – Why use the low temperature of -78°C at the contrary of the patent who rise the temperature at 50°C ?
Because it is really simpler to do this at classic lab temperatures… Maybe to avoid reflux ?

I guess/see the lithium compound part could be replace by solid Magnesium powder who is really more cheap and accessible.

3 – Does Toluene dissolve Tramadol hydrochloride ? I mean, to replace the ethyl ether of the above process.

Thank you for your help 😌
And I wish a nice new year to everyone !
PliniusHello. Thank you. Have a good year as well =)
1- There is mistake, thank you for your notice. I fixed it. You have to use free base (see article).
2- As I understand, higher temperature gives more side products and cut the target yield.
3- I can't answer for sure. I would recommend to try DCM or chloroform (almost the same dipole moment).

Source:
Synthesis of Tramadol and Analogous
Cuauhtémoc Alvarado,* Ángel Guzmán*, Eduardo Díaz, and Rocío Patiño
Instituto de Química, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Circuito Exterior Ciudad

Attachments

• fl8nwtgV9T.pdf
    162.3 KB · Views: 779

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hello. Thank you. Have a good year as well =)
1- There is mistake, thank you for your notice. I fixed it. You have to use free base (see article).
2- As I understand, higher temperature gives more side products and cut the target yield.
3- I can't answer for sure. I would recommend to try DCM or chloroform (almost the same dipole moment).

Source:
Synthesis of Tramadol and Analogous
Cuauhtémoc Alvarado,* Ángel Guzmán*, Eduardo Díaz, and Rocío Patiño
Instituto de Química, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Circuito Exterior Ciudad
G.PattonThank you very much for this fast answer and correction !!
Great, this Mexican article is very interesting and useful, thanks !

Do you have process to bring the Mannich Hydrochloride to base ?
I intend to use NH3 solution because I saw that NH4Cl (undesired product) is almost non-soluble in the diethy ether, who is used to extract the Tramadol at the end. Thus, it could be a good way.
(maybe NaOH or NaHCO3 could be better…)

And another question (sorry!) : if, from the beginning, we use just use pure Dimethylamine in methanol or ethanol solution, to forming Mannich, without HCl, it could remain a Mannich free base ? (ready to use).

And just for me, I will try to see if ethy ether can be replaced by ethyl acetate like in the patent US6469213.

Attachments

• NirUBXsj8u.pdf
    433.7 KB · Views: 719

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Thank you very much for this fast answer and correction !!
Great, this Mexican article is very interesting and useful, thanks !

Do you have process to bring the Mannich Hydrochloride to base ?
I intend to use NH3 solution because I saw that NH4Cl (undesired product) is almost non-soluble in the diethy ether, who is used to extract the Tramadol at the end. Thus, it could be a good way.
(maybe NaOH or NaHCO3 could be better…)

And another question (sorry!) : if, from the beginning, we use just use pure Dimethylamine in methanol or ethanol solution, to forming Mannich, without HCl, it could remain a Mannich free base ? (ready to use).

And just for me, I will try to see if ethy ether can be replaced by ethyl acetate like in the patent US6469213.
Plinius>>>I intend to use NH3 solution
I think, NH3 sln is a good way.
>>>if, from the beginning, we use just use pure Dimethylamine in methanol or ethanol solution, to forming Mannich, without HCl, it could remain a Mannich free base ? (ready to use).
Why not. Dimethylamine has 7 *C bp. Quite hard to handle. Share your results here please.

HairyPoppins

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Probably a noob question but why is the benzyl knocked off?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals

HairyPoppins

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
G.PattonIn the patent it calls benzylmethylamine hydrochloride
cyclo-hexanone 9 (1.7 mL, 1.32 g, 16 mmol) and paraformaldehyde.

Im asking maybe benzaldehyde , methlamine hcl and butanone replace those starting materials?

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I have some difficulties to obtain the Mannich base.
I passed the dimethylamine to hydrochloride , then, I have synthesized the Mannich HCl and made it evaporate at 60°C at ambient pressure.
I harvested a kind of yellowish glue (see the picture) supposed to be Mannich.HCl, and then, passed it to base with a solution of 3g of water with 0,97g of NaOH.
I tried to extract the Mannish base with a mix of Toluene and TMBE and made it evaporate at 70°C : and failed ! After some hours, only 0,5mL of dark/orange liquid remain, but no traces of crystals.
So I started again to put the same mix of solvent at magnetic stirring during 30min at 50°C this time (at ambient temperature the first, and only 2minutes of stirring).
I’ll see after the evaporation tomorrow.

There is a mistake somewhere, despite that I'm following a tested method!

Attachments

• BUI1PG2VJt.jpg
    BUI1PG2VJt.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 389
  • zKvx1EjsWN.jpg
    zKvx1EjsWN.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 401
  • TNx6yf2Xtp.jpg
    TNx6yf2Xtp.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 366
  • iKrx50SQfN.jpg
    iKrx50SQfN.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 381

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I have some difficulties to obtain the Mannich base.
I passed the dimethylamine to hydrochloride , then, I have synthesized the Mannich HCl and made it evaporate at 60°C at ambient pressure.
I harvested a kind of yellowish glue (see the picture) supposed to be Mannich.HCl, and then, passed it to base with a solution of 3g of water with 0,97g of NaOH.
I tried to extract the Mannish base with a mix of Toluene and TMBE and made it evaporate at 70°C : and failed ! After some hours, only 0,5mL of dark/orange liquid remain, but no traces of crystals.
So I started again to put the same mix of solvent at magnetic stirring during 30min at 50°C this time (at ambient temperature the first, and only 2minutes of stirring).
I’ll see after the evaporation tomorrow.

There is a mistake somewhere, despite that I'm following a tested method!
PliniusThe first try was a total fail.
I made another try, with more attention, and it was better.
The methanol was replaced by ethanol; and to pass the Mannich.HCl to base, I used NH3 solution (contrary to NaOH solution) because I read on another patent a pH of 10.8, then, the NaOH base was too high and maybe the cause to destruction of the yield/molecule ?
I dissolved the base in Toluene and use it in the next stage (like in another source).
I will evaporate them under vacuum and see the residues. I strongly hope it will be tramadol, ready for recrystallization.

View previous replies…

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
The first try was a total fail.
I made another try, with more attention, and it was better.
The methanol was replaced by ethanol; and to pass the Mannich.HCl to base, I used NH3 solution (contrary to NaOH solution) because I read on another patent a pH of 10.8, then, the NaOH base was too high and maybe the cause to destruction of the yield/molecule ?
I dissolved the base in Toluene and use it in the next stage (like in another source).
I will evaporate them under vacuum and see the residues. I strongly hope it will be tramadol, ready for recrystallization.
PliniusHi
It was good idea. Hope you'll get product. Looking forward your results!

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So, the first final path to Tramadol was not a success.
G.PattonI harvest an oily phase in base, who dissolve in water in his HCl form.
I made it crystalized and get a brown paste, not really good... I ate it is a capsule, 130mg, and haven't noticed any effect.

So I started again with the Mannich base, synthesized without the use of HCl to remain basic. After evaporation I get the oily mixture in the picture below.
I though it was a fail again, because I read it was crystals at ambient temperature, but some labs sell it at 96% at liquid form, so it is a relief !!
I've launched the last Grignard reaction. When it will be completed and tested I'll update.

Attachments

• dxbaQZC57T.jpg
    dxbaQZC57T.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 364

VidaliaOnions

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I harvest an oily phase in base, who dissolve in water in his HCl form.
I made it crystalized and get a brown paste, not really good... I ate it is a capsule, 130mg, and haven't noticed any effect.

So I started again with the Mannich base, synthesized without the use of HCl to remain basic. After evaporation I get the oily mixture in the picture below.
I though it was a fail again, because I read it was crystals at ambient temperature, but some labs sell it at 96% at liquid form, so it is a relief !!
I've launched the last Grignard reaction. When it will be completed and tested I'll update.
PliniusReally dude you ate a capsule of brown oily substance that's obviously not tramadol you shouldn't consume your end product without knowing for a fact it is what it is and the reactions were done successfully. You are very lucky countless terrible things could have happened or might happen later in life.

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Really dude you ate a capsule of brown oily substance that's obviously not tramadol you shouldn't consume your end product without knowing for a fact it is what it is and the reactions were done successfully. You are very lucky countless terrible things could have happened or might happen later in life.
VidaliaOnionsI already made an acid-base extraction, so the molecule obviously belonged to a know family in which no-one got a LD50 near this level as far as I know.
Don't worry for me !

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After most than 8 attempts, I didn’t succeed to produce Tramadol, at least, no more than 5mg but probably other molecule.

Know, my Grignard reaction is correct, the temperature to ignite 3-Bromoanisol+Mg flakes seems to be 70°C +/-2°C under constant agitation (the agitation is important to scratch the Mg surface and remove the oxide. At least in one good point.

Then I think my problem come from Mannich synthesis : my product DON’T crystalize in acetone : crystals are forming a denser liquid phase automatically.
I remove 95 % of the acetone and make the denser liquid phase evaporate on 60°C plate, to harvest white crystals.

But then, if I try to recrystallize them again from acetone, the same way, the product lose 70 % of weight and keep same properties.

As the 2-dimethylaminomethyl-cyclohexanone hydrochloride should melt near 157-158°C, I assume they are not the Mannich.HCl expected right ?

Does anyone can give me some tip ? Or better, try himself and share his result please ?

(here, a picture of « fake » Mannich.HCl crude 10mmol, before recrystallization.)

Attachments

• gfz01QYmLN.jpg
    gfz01QYmLN.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 356

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi everyone,

After most than 8 attempts, I didn’t succeed to produce Tramadol, at least, no more than 5mg but probably other molecule.

Know, my Grignard reaction is correct, the temperature to ignite 3-Bromoanisol+Mg flakes seems to be 70°C +/-2°C under constant agitation (the agitation is important to scratch the Mg surface and remove the oxide. At least in one good point.

Then I think my problem come from Mannich synthesis : my product DON’T crystalize in acetone : crystals are forming a denser liquid phase automatically.
I remove 95 % of the acetone and make the denser liquid phase evaporate on 60°C plate, to harvest white crystals.

But then, if I try to recrystallize them again from acetone, the same way, the product lose 70 % of weight and keep same properties.

As the 2-dimethylaminomethyl-cyclohexanone hydrochloride should melt near 157-158°C, I assume they are not the Mannich.HCl expected right ?

Does anyone can give me some tip ? Or better, try himself and share his result please ?

(here, a picture of « fake » Mannich.HCl crude 10mmol, before recrystallization.)
Plinius

Do you use pure dry acetone? Hi, sorry for a long reply. I haven't seen your question.

Plinius

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Do you use pure dry acetone? Hi, sorry for a long reply. I haven't seen your question.
G.PattonHi, I'm very very slow too, as you can see !
I use "pure" acetone from hardware store, mm, do you mean that kind of acetone is not pure ?
I have access to lab grade acetone but really more expensive... Maybe I should made a fractional distillation of the commercial one ?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, I'm very very slow too, as you can see !
I use "pure" acetone from hardware store, mm, do you mean that kind of acetone is not pure ?
I have access to lab grade acetone but really more expensive... Maybe I should made a fractional distillation of the commercial one ?
PliniusI think you have to be sure in acetone, distill it and dry.

Aloys

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Can you post a contribution to the production of tilidine

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect

• The BB Forum team is looking for cooperation:

• Traffic arbitrage specialists
    • Spammers
    • Advertising agencies
    • Bloggers/Vloggers
    • TOR sites directories
    • Creative people who can create viral content
    • Administrators of Telegram Channels and Groups

We will pay more for your traffic than our competitors! $0.1 per visitor!!!If you are interested in, write to the administrator.