need help

smdoukeyi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I couldn't find toluene in my area, so I tried the following steps, but the results were completely different. Can anyone help guide me through the process?"

First time, I soaked ephedra in ethanol for 12 hours, then filtered it through filter paper and added sodium hydroxide. At this point, the solution turned dark green-brown. After combining the solution, I added iodine and red phosphorus and refluxed it for ten hours. The solution turned into a wine-like color. After cooling, I added sodium hydroxide, but the color remained wine-red. After filtering out the red phosphorus with filter paper, I added calcium chloride and oxalic acid to produce hydrochloric acid gas on top, but there was no reaction. Then I directly added oxalic acid. In the end, the solution contained precipitates. After leaving it overnight in the refrigerator, the filter paper had reddish mud-like substances, which had a strong odor. I'm not sure if it's methamphetamine.

Second time, I heated ephedra in water for 2 hours, then filtered it through filter paper and added sodium hydroxide. After that, I added ethanol and then oxalic acid solution. The solution turned yellow-orange with precipitates. Later, I added red phosphorus and iodine and refluxed it for 8 hours. The solution turned into a wine color again. After cooling, I added a mixture of sodium hydroxide and sodium thiosulfate. At this point, the solution turned pink.

Requesting help, what are the issues with the mentioned process, and how should I proceed without using toluene?

psy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Buy a different non polar solvent. Xylenes, some camper fuels, limonene, starter fuel, petrol...Get looking around there has to be something that works

smdoukeyi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Can gasoline be used as a substitute for toluene?

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Yes, you can purify it first by washing with conc. NaOH sol. then washed with some sulphuric acid.

smdoukeyi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
What does "conc" mean? Is it used for washing with sodium hydroxide or sulfuric acid? Sulfuric acid is also regulated in my country.

smdoukeyi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So, the key to success lies in separating the components using non-polar solvents and water, rather than mixing them all together like I did, right?

psy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Are you using the actual plant material? You will probably have to extract it better than just ethanol. There is other things in the plant that might ruin the rxn. Also iodine and red p alone do not work. You need some acid to form HI.

smdoukeyi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Yes, I used ephedra as the starting material, and for the acid, I used oxalic acid. I'm not sure if it will be effective. I face a lot of difficulties in obtaining many materials in my country, such as hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, toluene, and chloroform, as they are all regulated.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Starting with plant material is a true quest and I can’t recommend more then xylenes instead of toluene.