Purity of methamphetamine with a Refractometer

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Hello, is it possible to measure the optical purity of methamphetamine with a Refractometer?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
It is quite hard by reason of these issues:
  • 1. lack of data
  • 2. unstable refraction index (depends on temperature of the sample)

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Optical compounds have the same physical and chemical properties, the only difference is in the polarization of light. It does not appear to be measured with a refractometer.

All we need is a polarimeter.

View previous replies…

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
In fact, you are partially mistaken. They can have different chemical reactivity (tartaric acid interaction with amphetamines is a bright example), different spin-spin interaction in molecule in a space (NMR analysis). About refraction - you are right, I was wrong.

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
When tartaric acid reacts with amphetamine, it is no longer a photoactive compound, but becomes a diastereomer. It is in the nature of diastereomers that their properties are different from each other, but before the reaction of racemic amphetamine, it does not show chemical and physical difference.

In nmr analysis, as far as I know, the isomers cannot be distinguished together, but they are mesomers. If you have an example, provide it.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I don't have an example, read about Two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy if you are interested in.
I don't know what do you mean under photoactive compound.
I told about chemical differences. Different reactivity is also partially physical characteristic as spin-spin interaction of atomos in the molecule.

I don't see a reason to continue this thread.

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I don't know what do you mean under photoactive compound.

photoactive: I don't mean racemic, it was typed wrong

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I don't have an example, read about Two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy if you are interested in.

You need to give an example to prove your claim, as I mentioned before you cannot distinguish optical isomers with nmr, both isomers have the same spin. These two compounds differ only optically.

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I don't see a reason to continue this thread.

Yes, I see no reason to continue the discussion, it is pointless. You should read organic chemistry carefully

Last edited:

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hey, that sounds pretty insulting. I don't have to prove anything to you, man. This forum environment involves friendly communication. No need to be so rude and toxic.

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you took my words like that and I'm even more sorry that you blocked me for a month.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
So maybe this will clear it up. If you have a dextro substance it turns clockwise. A leavo turns counterclockwise. If you have a racemic mixture that is 50/50. You see no chirality because the net product is 0°. If you have a 60/40 mixture it rotates right but you have no idea how much a 60/40 mix would bend light, unless you just measured a pure isomer at your current temperature, barometric pressure ect

ACAB

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Yes you can, 100% has an Index of 1.503