DIY polarimeter (Smartphones)

Acab1312

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇩🇪
Reaction score
Hello because a polarimeter is a very important tool in my opinion. Unfortunately, but not many have the money to buy one, I will explain a DIY polarimeter to you. Isn't as accurate as a store-bought one, but at least you can see if it's chirally enriched. With a few motifications. Can it be made much more precise.
You will need :
-A cuvette
- Polarized foil
- Your smartphone (LCD, OLED display)

-Look at the polarized film on the smartphone display to see how it behaves. And when they turn it. Make a small continuous line over the foil and the smartphone. Preferably when they can't see anything through the foil and it's black.
- fill the cuvette with distilled H2O, mark the ml level on the cuvette.
- Now turn on your smartphone and make sure that the screen illumination stays on.
- Now place the cuvette on the smartphone screen
- now hold the foil over the cuvette, preferably on the old lines where you could no longer see through the foil at the beginning. Normally, it should be the same as before.
- Now you are producing a well-known h2o solution with your product. And fill your cuvette with it up to the ml mark on your cuvette
-Now put it back on your smartphone, and hold the film over it, ideally you should when you put the film on the
Set aligned strokes. If you can see something through the foil, then you know it's chirally enriched. If it is still black, then there is still a racemat.

As I said, the method is not the most accurate, but at least somewhat.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
These 2 sheets of polarizing film were $5 on Amazon. I could easily cutnthem inton32-1" squares, which is plenty big enoughntomcover a test tube.. A tip, if its optically active( you see light at the start) If younturn it clockwise and it goes black, its dextro, and if the black spot is counterclockwise from your start it's levo. You can even estimate the enantiomeric excess by how far it turned, with a little practice
JskNzDqbE5