Methylamine solution from methylamine.HCl

Zarder

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
In reading the MDMA NaBH4 reduction procedure it says to bubble methylamine gas through the methanol.
Can I not instead dissolve my methylamine HCl into the methanol, add a stoichiometric amount of Noah (slowly) then remove the NaCl and water some how?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Yes, you can get methylamine free base in situ in water.

kawaii

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Dear friend, I need the product methylamine 40% solution in methanol. Can I make from methylamine hcl? Is it true and if so how you do this process? What is the process by which methylamine can be introduced into a molecule in the easiest and fastest way?

Zarder

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
and what will be a good way of getting rid of the salt water in the methanol?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
You have to carry reaction out in water without alcohol.

Zarder

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
And will the salt affect the reaction at all if it’s dissolved in the methanol?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
There is no any influence on reaction. You can leave it there.

Zarder

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the information. I will do a write-up on it once I perform the synthesis.

Ortist

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
You can try to dissolve NaOH in methanol until saturation. Then see how much NaOH dissolved and calculate the amount of methylamine.hcl. Add it to your methanol. The problem here is that very unlikely that you can get 40% by this method. NaOH is not very soluble in methanol. Plus you will get water from reaction between methylamine salt and alkali. To hold more methylamine gas your methanol must be cooled down but in other hand if it is cold then it can't dissolve to much of NaOH. So i am afraid you have only one option: to bubble dry methylamine gas thru your dry methanol.

Wikipedia says solubility of NaOH in methanol is 238g/L it is about 6 mol. That mean you can add 6 mol of methylamine hcl which is 405g. This will liberate 6 mol of gas which weigh 186g. So you will end up with 186g of gas in 1L of methanol which is far from 40%