Question Regarding Optical Resolution

kitchenchemistry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
first: yes, I've searched the forum and read threads on procedure. Now, as a hypothetical, lets say you had both l and d isomers present, with another ACHIRAL isomer... how would that achiral isomer affect the resolution process/results?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Hi, about what substance are you talking about?

kitchenchemistry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
can we say its a just curiosity? An, "i wonder what would happen if..." scenario?

View previous replies…

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Each substance has own chiral center(s), hence different number of isomers.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Are you concerned about the "meso" form such as in the case of tartaric acid? It's the closest thing I can extrapolate your question to...

kitchenchemistry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
im loathe to add detail, because no matter the forum theres always a giant argument and the thread gets side tracked..... but AS A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT if you had racemic meth and n-isopropylbenzylamine (achiral) how would the presence of the n-iso effect optical resolution. also, two quick asides, seeing as im getting ready to find out regardless.... despite being technically polar, is dcm an acceptable solvent for the conjugate base? and is there a ratio for the amount of tartaric acid to freebase? or is any amount over ENOUGH acceptable? I have these questions still after about a year and a half trying to figure this out. and truth be told im PRETTY SURE i know the answer.... but not wanting to repeat the mistakes made during the worlds worst(and my first) a/b extraction(ill explain if asked), im wanting to clarify before i get started.... beware though, if you answer one question ill probably begin asking you about every question ive ever had regarding chemistry ...

Last edited:

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
good morning I had no coffee yet... I think you need a stick and ball model kit to help you figure this out on your own

kitchenchemistry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
So are you telling me to figure it out myself? And i dont know how to use a stick and ball model kit, nor do i know how that would help me. i dont have the education or the resources, but im here to learn from people who do know. so no disrespect, but if your answer to my question is ""go play with toys" please dont waste my time with a reply at all. im not stupid, and im eager to learn. but i don't appreciate patronizing answers.

BTW, if im misreading your reply then i give my sincerest apologies

View previous replies…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Figuring out yourself is the most constructive way to learn, your question is pretty vague to me so I applogise for throwing it like this. The stick and ball "toy" is used with much success when the complexity of the question regarding molecular structure overcomes the spatial image you can cope to imagine and it's pretty educative since it was invented in the first place. It can also be easily improvised from plastecine or clay and toothpicks. I didn't mean to offend in any way. Kindest regards!

kitchenchemistry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
then again, my sincerest apologies for taking offense. i dont have time to go learn all the fundamentals i need. im sorry for that, but i am getting ready to base about 35g of racemic dope, and if love to get a couple questions answered before i go adding in the lye.... and i agree about figuring out one's self, but being fairly broke i really dont wanna mistakenly flush $130 down the tubes again.... (just ask me about the first a/b i ever did if you really wanna hear some stupid shit....)

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
We are all here to help you, if things appeared to start on the wrong foot between us two I promise there are more competent people here to help you out. Now, before I know exactly what you have in mind I can promise that most reaction mixtures that show signs of failure may actually be recoverable to a lesser than desired extent. The chemist way is performing on a tiny scale what you wish to do on a preparative scale so test tube is a first even though you can assume that isolation of the product is not the actual purpose thus you should only invest a quantity you can afford to lose in return of the knowledge obtained with regard to the behavior of the reactants. Resolution of chiral molecules is not beginner friendly and I think I'm not the only one with this opinion. I had my good share of frustration with this kind of work so I avoid being the ass that encourages you neither the one that discourages. Please come up with a clear procedural writeup (yes this is the educator in me again) and I promise to discuss it with you in detail. Doing several theoretical efforts is constructive practice that will materialize in a more professional you that will obtain higher yields and get the product out of any brown goo at some point in the future.
God luck and good speed!

kitchenchemistry

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
.....i will record the evenings efforts in the hope of finding my mistakes in retrospect, but time is not on my side with this particular effort. thank you again fo your time.