Tor and JavaScript

2-79-790125

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
For me, running BB site through Tor is clunky and frustrating. Drop down menus don't appear, I can't see my messages. I've resorted to a standard VPN and Firefox. Does anyone know how to enable JavaScript in Tor; and exactly how bad of an idea is that from an OpSec perspective compared to just running VPN/Firefox?

prophet

Buying through escrow
New seller
Reaction score
Deals
Enable/disable should be in the security settings of tor. There are 3, some sites like dred will give you a warning if you have the setting set with java on. I use tails os, usually runs smooth, especially since the recent updates to the site

HEISENBERG

ADMIN
ADMIN
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Tell me which of the last 20 arrested darknet marketplaces or forums were shut down because of JS? Or tell me who was last deanonymized in tor browser just because of JS enabled? Maybe it's time to start living with current technologies using tor browser and then our community will grow faster....
Otherwise, tor won't become massively popular for purchasing psychoactive substances just because using the internet without JS is inconvenient. Please note that JS is enabled by default in tor browser.

Our site does not use any dangerous scripts, we do not have JS Google, etc. When tor browser developers or Snowden say that it is necessary to disable JS in tor browser because it is safer, they are right. But in current realities this recommendation is necessary for situations when, for example, you communicate with someone through sites that use Google scripts, for example. Then by disabling JS, the browser will not execute Google scripts. This will give you more anonymity in a situation where you are passing US military secrets to journalists. But let's be aware that technology has advanced a lot and living without JS on the Internet now is a huge step backwards.

Last edited:

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So Tor with JS enabled in settings is likely fine for the forum. Maybe other sites you arent familiar with or dont trust may be good reasons to turn it off. Or like Heisenburg said Dread (because that stupid pop up wont leave you alone until its disabled. )

2-79-790125

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
OK folks, Tor it is for me then. So what I need next then is the most idiot-proof step-by-step instruction ever created so that a total moron can enable JS on a Tor browser. I'm embarrassed to say how much time I've spent trying to do that myself and still haven't figured it out.

HEISENBERG

ADMIN
ADMIN
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
OK folks, Tor it is for me then. So what I need next then is the most idiot-proof step-by-step instruction ever created so that a total moron can enable JS on a Tor browser. I'm embarrassed to say how much time I've spent trying to do that myself and still haven't figured it out.
2-79-790125In the address bar, write and follow a link like this:
Code:
about:preferences#privacy
Next, select the "standard" option
Done

HEISENBERG

ADMIN
ADMIN
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
2-79-790125
2lmdn08ZoX

2-79-790125

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
OK, I did as suggested. Confirmed "Security Level" = "Standard" already. When logging onto onion site via Tor, there is still the banner on BB site stating JavaScript is disabled and that unable to watch videos. And indeed, I can not watch videos. let me know if anything else I should be doing if using Tor for BB site. As always, thank you for your kind and patient help.

HEISENBERG

ADMIN
ADMIN
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
OK, I did as suggested. Confirmed "Security Level" = "Standard" already. When logging onto onion site via Tor, there is still the banner on BB site stating JavaScript is disabled and that unable to watch videos. And indeed, I can not watch videos. let me know if anything else I should be doing if using Tor for BB site. As always, thank you for your kind and patient help.
2-79-790125Try reinstalling your browser.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Idk if this will do it, but change to the standard safety in the browser settings and then restart tor. If that doesn't work go back and see if your settings are still selected as standard safety

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect