Using dry ice directly as a cooling mechanism for NaBH4 reaction?

callmecharlie

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hi, my question is in reference to the reduction of MDP2P to MDMA and P2P to meth with NaBH4… instead of using a jacketed reactor or ice bath to cool the reaction below 20 degrees during the addition of NaBH4, would it be possible to use dry ice dropped into the reaction In order to cool the reaction mixture at a faster rate, and this could be scalable..

Obviously the reaction needs to be water free so you can’t use water ice cubes.
however, I’m not sure if the portion off carbon dioxide that may dissolve in the methanol will react to stuff up the reaction.

I guess carbon dioxide will form a weak acid and methylamine is a base so a reaction would take place there.. but if you only add after the Imine is formed would it then work? Baring in mind there is drying agents on hand that we can add, but is there other detrimental reactions that may take place? Or is this a good idea to test out?

can anyone with a chemistry knowledge help me out on this.

thanks

cmc

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I can't imagine why you would want to do that. I've not thought about it long, but kust the chance rules it out for me.regular ice and acetone gets-10c and ice and sodium chloride gets -30c for a lot cheaper,