What reagents can I use instead of diethyl ether?

bitcoinup2020

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a beginner.

6. Crude MDMA free base is extracted from the alkaline solution with diethyl ether (or petroleum ether) 2 x 50 mL. Ether extract with MDMA free base is dried over MgSO4.

from step 6
What reagents can I use instead of diethyl ether?

Thank you very much for the answer. with respect

ymaaah

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You can use ethyl acetate, safer than diethyl ether

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Ethyl acetate partially hydrolises in contact with alkali, it is no good for extracting freebase.
@bitcoinup2020 you can substitute with any non-polar (doesn't mix with water) solvent, popular choices are: petroleum ether (aka naphta, whitespirt), toluene, xylene, hexanes, dichloromethane or in absence of any of these even gasoline from the pump that has been washed with NaOH solution, followed by H2SO4 wash can be used.

View previous replies…

bitcoinup2020

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
can i use dichloromethane In order to extract the amount according to the steps, can you tell me? dichloromethane 2 x 50 mL

bblanco

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hello sirs,

I have this petroleum from the gasstation which they heat houses or farms with. Somewhere i read you could just do fractional distillation and 20-60 degrees the result would be the ether?

Im not a chemist and before i blow myself and half the hood up in the air i thought hmm maybe better check check double check... now i used thinner (paint thing).. but as i have this petroleum i want to do something with it..?

Thanks!
BB

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Yeah it's petroleum ether, you can indeed fractionally distill it or simply purify to remove oils and additives and use as is

bblanco

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
thanks for the fast and useful info. appreciated!

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
If an actual ether is what you want (petroleum ether is a mixture of alkanes in strict chemical terminology, most probably hexanes), the easy to source and quite equivalently behaving substances are MTBE (methyl-tertbutyl ether) and diisopropyl ether, however their boiling points are higher but this only makes them safer to use than diethyl ether (known commonly as ether). The post above is the actually helpful one just beware of the whitespirit, toluene and xylenes which have above 100C boiling points so they may complicate evaporation procedures in the absence of a rotary evaporator. If you use ethyl acetate never extract strongly acidic or alkaline solutions with it and even if pH is not extreme (5,5-8,5) just move quick. I know it's safe to extract with ethyl acetate 5MeOTryptamine that I freebased from the hydrochloride but with K/Na carbonate as a base instead of hydroxide. Since AcOEt is an ester it readily hydrolizes back to the acid and alcohol that was obtained from if pH is too high or too low (acetic acid and ethanol in this case, both will make a mess you will only resolve with a suitable solvent that is insensitive to pH). If you did make a mess and there is no separation don't be a fool and throw the whole thing away there are plenty of us here to help you out. Many beginners just get angry and throw away their mixture that can actually be saved with the precious bit of lacking information.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
It is educative from my side to ask you to provide the aproximate pH of your extractive (solution to be extracted) and the boiling points of the solvents mentioned above by everyone not just me. Think of this as a crucialy important exercise, by seeking theese out you have relevant lessons to learn.

View previous replies…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Yes the answer is true! DCM has a low boiling point and does not catch fire thus easy to evaporate (causes dizziness and somewhat toxic) but remember that halogenated solvents almost always form the lower layer and should not be thoroughly shaken with strong alkaine solutions unless you want to wait for days or go get a vibrating dildo and finish in 12 hours. You should make a 3x50 mL or 1X75 & 2x35mL extraction with milder contact rather. Not compatible with salting out and brine washing, best dried with anh. Mg SO4.

bitcoinup2020

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
thank you very much I have more encouragement to do this. Thank you very much with respect

bitcoinup2020

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
If I want to scale to 100 times this method I have to use DCM Is it the amount of size 50ML*100 times = 5000ML?

bitcoinup2020

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
from step 6
If I want to resize to x100 number from step 6 I have to use x100 solution. by size too?