What you get from your dirty acetone?

Mr Good Cat

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Mostly I use 99.9% purity acetone from a chem shop.

All normal product gone, and raw material for new batch has not arrived, so I had some free time and nothing to do.

So, I gathered dirty acetone I had in the freezer, in the amount 2L and evaporated it. Mostly it was acetone that was used for MDMA crystals washing, but some volume (relatively small amount may be 15-20%) was after acidation with 37% HCl in acetone that I really love.

Evaporation was done on the hotplate in the beaker of 1L, then some extra amount was added in a few steps. Final evaporation was done in the beaker 100ml. I din't control the temperature in the beaker, just set the temperature of plate surface as 150C. All the process didn't take a lot of time, may be 1 hour or something of intensive boiling.

At the point when acetone smell disappeared, I had small volume of shitty black dense liquid, that was mixed with small volume of water and put in the freezer for an hour or something.

Then NaOH was added for base extraction. Upper layer, pretty dirty and black, was separated on funnel its weight was exactly 25 gr, that's not bad for 2L of acetone.

Then NaCl and distilled water were added to the funnel with upper layer and kept in the freezer for some more time. Product washed with p.ether. That after evaporation gave me 15 gr of pretty pure FB.

FB was acidified in frozen acetone and filtered after 12 hours. Yeld was 16.8 gr against calculated 17.8 gr.

The salt was re-crystallized in hot IPA in the sealed PP beaker on water bath - it is very easy to control the temperature of water bath. Starting temperature was 65C, proportions by weight 1 gr : 2.86 gr (or 3.6 ml at RT). As I don't have programmable hotplate, I had to do it manually, reducing temperature for 2C every 30 minutes.

As RT was reached, sealed beaker together with water pan (to reduce speed of cooling) were placed in the normal refrigerator for 6 hours, then moved to the freezer for a few hours more.

As the result, 15.2 gr of pretty pure crystals were obtained. But average cr size doesn't impress me. It is still small 1x1 up to 2x3 mm. Probably re-crystallization with steps 2C per 30 minutes is still too fast, I think I need to buy a programmable plate and do the same with 1 or 2C per 1 hour.

EyZGW286CU

Last edited:

Mr Good Cat

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
This time I recycled another batch of dirty acetone. All the liquid after acidation, washing, leftovers after crystallization in water and so forth with common PH=2 were collected and heated up to 130C.

At this point the substance in the beaker looked totally black and shitty. Common weight - 40 gr.
The substance was thrown to the frozen acetone with volume x10 of substance volume and kept in the freezer for a while.

Acetone after crystallization looked as cognac color.

Today it was filtered, and as the result I got 35 gr of brown sugar. Of course, such product is not supposed for consumption: it shall be purified by some way.

Probably I will try to re-crystallize it IPA a couple of times or do ABE, not decided yet..

RJ97SUvwfG

xile

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Dont know, but will see in near future. My first 2 batches Was low yield so i planed to extract the flushes and frzen solvent another time.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
The way the chemist devoid of rotavap would do is by performing a simple distillation, if the total volume is 2L. Is not only that you recover the acetone but also that you need to keep the heat tame and most importantly you avoid vaporizing 2L of acetone in the air you breathe, knowing that the problem is with the heat of the plate idk acetone’s flash temperature but one should never expose vapors to any surface that hot.

Mr Good Cat

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I know all this shit. I simply don't have space for more equipment. May be in the autumn if I move to the countryside...

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I was focused on avoiding danger mainly, otherwise you can just leave the beaker uncovered outside in the sun even if it takes time at least you have one explosion less to worry about.