Exracting Morphine Sulphate from "Substitol Capsules" and converting it to Morphine Base

Mr_Morphine

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hi there,

I thought this was common knowledge but since I got asked for a few times here's the how to:

1) Open Capsule which contains little balls of Morphine sulfate covert with a wax-like Substance
2) Put the little balls in hot Water (75°C is perfect)
3) Stir until dissolved

4) Let the Water cool down until there is a hard "Wax" Layer
5) Remove the layer or don't do so depending on your taste
6) Cheers

for converting into smokable Morphine Base:

after step 4: remove the "Wax" layer
5) add ammonia dropwise until pH is about 10-12. You will see the flakes falling out.
optional: cool the solution in the fridge
6) remove water laver
7) let the "Snowflakes" dry and enjoy ;-)

stay safe,
Mr.M.

InterestedJimmy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Can you or someone else provide an in-depth description of cleaning the morphine (base) of this formulation in the most perfect manner to avoid product loss as well as possible? I have been reading many instructions across the various boards about morphine extraction but could not find a step by step procedure. For the experienced (hobby) chemist this might sound trivial. I know these kind of extractions belong to the most basic procedures but I would like to do my best and work as diligent as possible. Therefore I could need some assistance and thereby raise incitement for further projects.

The content inside the Substitol (200mg) capsules contain the following ingredients:

-200 mg morphine sulphate
-hydrated plant oil
-Macrogol 6000
-talcum
-magnesium stearate

My layman approach would be:

Dissolve the content in sufficient hot destilled water and after cooling remove the waxy layer floating on top. The wax should mainly consist of hydrated plant oil. The solution should consist of morphine sulphate + Macrogol 6000 and the magnesium stearate + talcum should float around undissolved. Filtering the solution in order to remove talcum and magnesium stearate should leave a solution of morphine sulphate and Macrogol 6000.

I presume the next step would be basifying the solution to a certain ph value, filtering out the precipitated morphine base and thus leaving behind a solution of Macrogol 6000.

I would like to know the exact figures, equipment and chemicals needed to perform an optimal extraction.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Can you or someone else provide an in-depth description of cleaning the morphine (base) of this formulation in the most perfect manner to avoid product loss as well as possible? I have been reading many instructions across the various boards about morphine extraction but could not find a step by step procedure. For the experienced (hobby) chemist this might sound trivial. I know these kind of extractions belong to the most basic procedures but I would like to do my best and work as diligent as possible. Therefore I could need some assistance and thereby raise incitement for further projects.

The content inside the Substitol (200mg) capsules contain the following ingredients:

-200 mg morphine sulphate
-hydrated plant oil
-Macrogol 6000
-talcum
-magnesium stearate

My layman approach would be:

Dissolve the content in sufficient hot destilled water and after cooling remove the waxy layer floating on top. The wax should mainly consist of hydrated plant oil. The solution should consist of morphine sulphate + Macrogol 6000 and the magnesium stearate + talcum should float around undissolved. Filtering the solution in order to remove talcum and magnesium stearate should leave a solution of morphine sulphate and Macrogol 6000.

I presume the next step would be basifying the solution to a certain ph value, filtering out the precipitated morphine base and thus leaving behind a solution of Macrogol 6000.

I would like to know the exact figures, equipment and chemicals needed to perform an optimal extraction.
InterestedJimmyBeakers, funnel, filter paper, distilled water, hot plate, glass rod, plastic syringe, gloves, precise laboratory weight, desiccator (optional).

The procedure, described @Mr_Morphine is very simple. There is no any know-how. I wrote necessary glassware and equipment for u.

InterestedJimmy

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Beakers, funnel, filter paper, distilled water, hot plate, glass rod, plastic syringe, gloves, precise laboratory weight, desiccator (optional).

The procedure, described @Mr_Morphine is very simple. There is no any know-how. I wrote necessary glassware and equipment for u.
G.PattonThanks for the reply. Is there any recommendation how I can achieve the highest yield or which step should be taken most care of?

Will I get pure morphine base with this procedure or are there still any ingredients in the final product? Before adding ammonia I have to filter the solution in order to remove any non-soluble remainings like talcum and magnesium stearate, right?

And after basifying the Macrogol should stay inside the filtered off solution or does it react with ammonia?

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Thanks for the reply. Is there any recommendation how I can achieve the highest yield or which step should be taken most care of?

Will I get pure morphine base with this procedure or are there still any ingredients in the final product? Before adding ammonia I have to filter the solution in order to remove any non-soluble remainings like talcum and magnesium stearate, right?

And after basifying the Macrogol should stay inside the filtered off solution or does it react with ammonia?
InterestedJimmyYes. You'll get morphine free base. For sure, there will be some other substances but in negligible amount. Yes, you can filter it. Macrogol is water soluble.

Mr_Morphine

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I write a deteiled one as soon as I have time.

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect