How can I safely grow some shrooms in my house?

Frit Buchner

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
They don't take much light, like a compact flourescent is plenty
They need a little fresh air exchange, but not too much because you need to keep the humidity high. Above 80% but ideally between, meh 85-95%. You could shove the box in the crawlspace under your house with no fresh air and no light and the mushrooms would still grow if they're going to. They would just be very long with tiny caps.
A person could write a book about how to grow mushrooms, and many have been. I've written a few articles myself for a National magazine. If you have any specific questions I will answer them for you but I'm only good for 10 paragraphs a day, tops, so spread them out. Or just ask on the board, there's not a lot of mushroom cultivation posts.

fidelis

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score

there r other grow bags but this one has a 100% or ur money back guarantee ^_^

Frit Buchner

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I
F you live in hardiness zone 1-7, they will grow outside under your bushes. You can do it many ways. You could take one of those kits and wearing a mask and gloves mix it into a bag of straw and cow patties and after every time it flushes, add 1-1.5 inches of new straw on top and when the mycelia reaches the surface it will fruit again. If it freezes where you live, Psilocybe cubensis specifically won't come back on it's own, but there are ways to over-winter it. I've done this in Illinois and Ohio.
I live in the Midwest, an area not known for it's abundance of magic mushrooms, but I can still pick enough in the wild to last most people a year. I once picked 4 dry ounces in 2 hours. It was in a public park, and I was just sweating my balls off, throwing them in a grocery sack as fast as I could pick them

SoldadoDeDrogas

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Don't try to grow mushrooms at home you're going to blow yourself up!
Just kidding... It's probably safer that smoking weed. Just dont eat anything that isn't a healthy looking mushroom.
The other good news is that there isn't anything illegal about it until you actually have DRY mushrooms in your posession.
I use the old PF Tek you can find at erowid.org. Jars, pressure cooker, rubbermaid bins and patience.
Never had anything too serious go wrong. Just a rotten jar or two here and there cause I wasn't as clean as I could have been when I injected my jars.
For a beginner, it's a pretty good place to start. Pretty easy to do, hard to screw up, and the results we all want.

Is there anything that grows wild that isn't a liberty cap outside of the north west and south east coast - or rather, in the north east / midwest ?
I believe there is an edible species of amanitas on the east coast and beyond. A. Muscaria var. Guessowii - anyone ever try these?

Frit Buchner

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
There's over 100 species of hallucinogenic mushrooms in the US. They fall into about 5-6 genera;

Psilocybe - now only contains active mushrooms. They have moved everything that isn't active out of Psilocybe

Panaeolus- contains active and non active species. Mostly found in livestock fields but occasionally are found in newly laid sod in housing projects and one group grows from grass thatch. Some reserve the genus name Copelandia for the potent species of Panaeolus-.

Gymnooilus - usually from dead standing or fallen trees. Mostly orangish all over. Orange cap orange stem orange gills orange spores. Sometimes more ruddy. Active and non active species exist and are often difficult and cryptic to separate. Across the board bitter and unpalatable.

Conocybe has 2 species that are active in the US. They are small and grow on lawns or forest floors

Pluteus has at least one active species in NA. On wood, white -pink gills. Free from stem brownish cap.dear shield mushrooms is the common name.

There's a hallucinogenic fungus that parasitizes cicada carcasses.

Inocybe is said to have several active species but other Inocybe sp. Are poisonous and separating them is difficult

SoldadoDeDrogas

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
There's over 100 species of hallucinogenic mushrooms in the US. They fall into about 5-6 genera;

Psilocybe - now only contains active mushrooms. They have moved everything that isn't active out of Psilocybe

Panaeolus- contains active and non active species. Mostly found in livestock fields but occasionally are found in newly laid sod in housing projects and one group grows from grass thatch. Some reserve the genus name Copelandia for the potent species of Panaeolus-.

Gymnooilus - usually from dead standing or fallen trees. Mostly orangish all over. Orange cap orange stem orange gills orange spores. Sometimes more ruddy. Active and non active species exist and are often difficult and cryptic to separate. Across the board bitter and unpalatable.

Conocybe has 2 species that are active in the US. They are small and grow on lawns or forest floors

Pluteus has at least one active species in NA. On wood, white -pink gills. Free from stem brownish cap.dear shield mushrooms is the common name.

There's a hallucinogenic fungus that parasitizes cicada carcasses.

Inocybe is said to have several active species but other Inocybe sp. Are poisonous and separating them is difficult
Frit BuchnerI did not know there were over 100... wow.. where are they, lol?
Mushroom hunting/identifying would be a wonderful skill to have, seems pretty daunting though. I don't think I would ever feel confident enough to safely identify and consume myself. Seems like another pursuit of a lifetime I will only scratch the surface of, if I even attempt to try.

I think the hallucinogenic ones they try to sweep under the rug and label them as poisonous and what not to deter people... at least most identifying information seems to take this approach. I'd probably be more interested in being able to identify them from a survivalist standpoint. Which ones would be used as food? Which others have not edible use? Etc. I would love to have someone like you to go talk walks in the woods with to be able to help school me. Maybe I'll check into a guide someday. I assume that is what you did once upon a time?

fidelis

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I did not know there were over 100... wow.. where are they, lol?
Mushroom hunting/identifying would be a wonderful skill to have, seems pretty daunting though. I don't think I would ever feel confident enough to safely identify and consume myself. Seems like another pursuit of a lifetime I will only scratch the surface of, if I even attempt to try.

I think the hallucinogenic ones they try to sweep under the rug and label them as poisonous and what not to deter people... at least most identifying information seems to take this approach. I'd probably be more interested in being able to identify them from a survivalist standpoint. Which ones would be used as food? Which others have not edible use? Etc. I would love to have someone like you to go talk walks in the woods with to be able to help school me. Maybe I'll check into a guide someday. I assume that is what you did once upon a time?
SoldadoDeDrogashallucinogenic plants, a golden guide is pretty good. theres some redundant stuff like weed but it also has a few plants even i didnt know about. im sure there are other guides but this is short, sweet, and has pictures :D

enjoy!!

Frit Buchner

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I did not know there were over 100... wow.. where are they, lol?

SoldadoDeDrogasI suppose I looked at mushrooms for about 2 years in the woods before I ate one. Mushrooms can be grouped in various ways and often times if you can elucidate the genus, that is enough information to know if you can eat it. Many times a mushroom can't be reliably identified to species without a DNA sequence, but the mushrooms don't care what you call them anyway 🤷. Luckily there are a lot of mushrooms that are distinctive and easy to identify, like morel mushrooms or maitaki

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect