P2P to (d)-Phenyl-2-propanol Possible?

Acab1312

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇩🇪
Reaction score
Maybe this will help you further I have not tested it personally yet. I could look in my folders maybe I can find the original PDF still

General Procedure for the Racemization Experiments. A
0.06 M solution of amine (100 mg) and thiol (1.2 or 0.2 equiv)
in benzene was refluxed for 2 h (stoichiometric condition) or 7
h (catalytic condition) in the presence of AIBN (an overall
quantity of 20 mol % of AIBN was divided into three equal
portions (when reaction time > 2 h) that were added succes￾sively each 2 h). After concentration, the residue was diluted
with HCl (1 M), and the solution was washed with Et2O. The
aqueous phase was basified with saturated sodium carbonate
and extracted with Et2O. The pure amine was isolated after
drying on MgSO4 and concentration

Sciencenutz

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I have access to aibn and thiol but would appreciate some help with the proper ratios converted to say per kg of L-meth freebase? I'll post my results

View previous replies…

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I would reflux the mixture don't means that reflux will begins at toluene b.p and 0.06M is the concentration in grams will depend on the amount of solvent used.

Sciencenutz

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
here are the weights of all 3.

L methamphetime 149.23g/mol
Methyl thiogylcolate 106.14g/mol
AIBN 164.21g/mol

Therefore would it be 1 mol L-meth and it says 0.2 equal so 106.14x0.2=21.22g. And a 20% for aibn is 32.84g.

So say I did 149.23g L-meth freebase with 500ml toluene and 21.22g thiol and refluxed for 7 hours while every 2 hours add 10.94g (32.84/3=10.94g) of AIBN.

Would that be the correct numbers? I'm a bit confused still on this 0.06M and how to scale that up

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
500ml of toluene per mol? How you calculated?
The calculation of liters per mol of the paper process for 0.06M concentration should be:
149.23gr*0.06M=8.95gr of freebase per liter
149.23gr/8.95gr=16.67L of solvent(toluene) per mol of freebase

Is a very low concentration but in reactions between radicals many by-side products could be generated so I guess thats the reason of this low concentration.
I think that wouldn't be problems in use 10 times this concentration using 1.66L of toluene per mol of freebase.
Another point is why are you focused on the 7 hours process when you can do it in 2 hours?

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Ok guys but has anyone tried heating with reflux in slightly acidic conditions?
Simple as.
I'm willing to bet it's gonna work the question is how well.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I bet it will but there is a reason why CHEM IS TRY so therefore someone needs to experiment this with a rack of test tubes and different concentrations, pH, temperatures and times of reaction... research work. "Nobody said it was easy, nobody said that it could be so hard, we're going back to the start" Coldplay-The Scientist.

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
The disappearance of the optical activity of a substance is not always related
to the disappearance of the chirality of the molecule. It can also be caused by reversible transformations of one of the enantiomers into the other, until a mixture is reached
equimolecular of both enantiomers (a racemic). This transformation
called racemization can take place spontaneously (that is, under the action of ter¬
molecules, see further examples for optically active derivatives of bifenil), or under the action of acid or bacid catalysts (v. vol. II, "Stereo-chemistry II")

And from vol. 2 stereo chemistry, reffering totartric acid, but we can draw some conclusions that the phenyletylamine we are working on also has simillar parameters which it does the same things, who knows maybe its the same.Its not an choh group but you never know.

Racemization. By heating (+)-tartrio acid
with water, at 160°, it is largely converted into meso-tartaric acid (by racemization of a single CHOH group). Under the same conditions, but at 175°, a higher proportion of (it)-tartaric acid is formed (through the racemization of both CHOH groups). This reaction is strongly catalyzed by bases; upon heating with a sodium hydroxide solution, racemization takes place at 100°. HCl acid dil. it also has a catalytic action, but weaker (the temperature required to observe the reaction is 120-140°).
This racemization reaction is used to obtain meso-tartaric and (±)-tartaric acids. Racemizations of this kind are also observed with other α-substituted acids.

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I don't think that works for racemization, descarboxilation or hydrolisis won't racemize a L enantiomer freebase.

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Ok let me try it and post here the results ok?

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
no wonder they call you the boss
if it needs under 90 i would use benzen , but if 90 dosent do the trick go toluene, xylene and so on

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
For short it's all about equilibrium and time of reaction I think is the main driving force (catalyst is also a must). I remember not being let to leave a reaction overnight because my prof promissed it will racemize and I was working in the stereochemistry lab so equilibrium was the enemy there.

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
I will do it with water, NaOH and HCL too the 3 routes ok?After results we talk again.

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Who calls me the boss?ahahah first time I see this I don't think so hahah but thanks anyway ;-)

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
like a genuine researcher!

btcboss2022

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Thats my plan:
I have L-Meth HCL I will take 45gr(15+15+15) and I Will turn It on freebase.
Once I have the L-meth freebase I Will do the tartaric separation process again to try to have the Max amount of L enantiomer.
I Will divide the reseparated L-meth freebase in 3 equal parts and I Will do the 3 routes as detailed there.
Once finished I Will do again the tartaric sepation process and we Will see the results.
Thanks.

K-Cyanide

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Well, the proposals from btcboss20200 are well founded. Anyway, be prepared to have a lot of attempts to get decent results. I would start with a method which is closest to the method in the paper. This is doing the reaction ceteris paribus with a different ratio of solvent to L-Meth freebase. For this reason you can disregard the 0.06M as is it much higher. Then you might try a run under inert gas conditions. This is done by flushing the system with Argon and providing a smooth flow of Argon through sulphuric acid, This is only necessary when absolut dryness is required. I dont think so. Argon is readily available as small pressure bottles form the home improvement shop.
The temperature where the reflux begins one needs to determine by trying with a small test batch. It is not necessecarely the bp , this is rather the exception.

Sciencenutz

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
All this is good progress I will post results as well...all I know is I have done my homework on Chinese suppliers in large quantities and the math doesn't add up for mexicans to make any money even at wholesale and low labor costs if they aren't recycling...so they are doing it somehow