Substance Use Trends in U.S. Adults: Cannabis Record-High, Psychedelics Rise, Smoking Declines

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
60gn3K7eAM

A comprehensive report from the Monitoring the Future (MTF) Panel Study, covering data from 1976 to 2023, has unveiled significant shifts in substance use among American adults aged 19 to 65. The report, spearheaded by researchers from the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research, provides a deep dive into the evolving landscape of substance use across different adult age groups, highlighting both emerging risks and promising declines.

Key Findings​

1. Cannabis Use at Record Highs: The report shows that cannabis use among young adults (19-30 years) has reached its highest levels since data collection began. In 2023, 42.4% of young adults reported using cannabis in the past year, with daily use also climbing to a significant 10.4%. The rise in cannabis vaping is particularly notable, doubling since its first measurement in 2017.

2. Decreases in Traditional Smoking: On a positive note, traditional cigarette smoking has declined dramatically among young adults. In 2023, only 8.8% reported smoking in the past month, a stark decrease from 28.8% in 2004. This decline reflects broader public health efforts and changing social norms around smoking.

3. Alcohol Consumption Trends: Alcohol use remains high, with 64.9% of young adults reporting use in the past 30 days. However, binge drinking has reached an all-time low, with only 27.2% of young adults engaging in the behavior in the past two weeks. Daily alcohol use has also decreased, reported by just 3.6% of young adults in 2023.

4. Rise of Psychedelics: The use of hallucinogens other than LSD has seen a significant uptick, reaching the highest levels ever recorded. In 2023, 8.5% of young adults reported using these substances, continuing a rising trend over the past decade.

5. Nicotine Vaping: Nicotine vaping has surged to unprecedented levels, with 25.3% of young adults vaping nicotine in the past year. This marks a tripling of vaping rates since 2017, raising concerns about the long-term health implications of this trend.

6. Decline in Prescription Drug Misuse: Encouragingly, the nonmedical use of prescription drugs among young adults has fallen to a new low. Only 7.0% reported misuse in the past year, down from 15.6% a decade ago. Opioids, including OxyContin and Vicodin, are at near-record lows, signaling a positive shift in the fight against prescription drug abuse.

Implications and Future Directions:​

The data presented in the MTF report underscore the dynamic nature of substance use in the U.S., with some substances waning in popularity while others rise. Public health initiatives must continue to adapt to these changes, focusing on emerging threats like vaping and psychedelics, while reinforcing successful strategies that have reduced smoking and prescription drug misuse.

The full report, titled "Monitoring the Future Panel Study Annual Report: National data on substance use among adults ages 19 to 65, 1976-2023", provides a detailed analysis of these trends and is a crucial resource for policymakers, healthcare providers, and researchers aiming to understand and address substance use in America.

For those interested in delving deeper into these findings, the full report is available for public access at the University of Michigan's Monitoring the Future website here (clearnet).

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
If you're interested in such publications, please react and leave comments. This will be a sign for me to continue.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I have no idea of what to make of this. Psychedelics and pot are recently legal so I guess they will rise.

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
Some facts seem obvious, but still require substantiated confirmation. This is necessary so that shifts occur not only in the minds of people familiar with the topic, but also in the minds of ordinary people, legislators, etc. In addition, the study shows other, less obvious and interesting trends in my opinion. For example, nicotine consumption has completely transformed.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
The nicotine thing was interesting. I attribute that to the fact it isnt tobacco anymore, but vapes pouches etc. Part of it isnt smelling like smoke and its sort of a fad. It could also be more healthy but I havent seen anything confirming that

Paracelsus

Addictionist
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely a fad or trend that is already in full swing, especially among young people. As for the health impact - I have not studied this topic in detail, but I am increasingly seeing various alarming publications related to vaping.