- Jul 19, 2021
- Reaction score
1. Formamide (65 g) and PMK (23 g) were refluxed at 190 *C for 5 h.
2. The solution was made basic and extracted with diethyl ether.
3. The ethereal solution was washed with dilute sulphuric acid, rinsed with water and finally dried over anhydrous sodium sulphate.
4. The diethyl ether volume was reduced to yield a clear yellow solution of N-formyl-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (N-formylMDA).
5. This was added dropwise to LAH (2,5 g in 100 ml of sodium-dried diethyl ether) and refluxed for 3 h.
6. The excess LAH was decomposed by the addition of water and the resulting mixture was filtered, and the precipitate washed with diethyl ether.
7. The washings and the filtrate were combined and extracted with dilute sulphuric acid.
8. The aqueous solution was made alkaline with dilute sodium hydroxide and extracted with diethyl ether
9. The solvent was evaporated, leaving an amber oil of crude MDMA.
10. After the volume of the organic solvent was decreased, the remaining residue was treated with hydrogen chloride gas to yield a gelatinous brown precipitate of impure MDMA hydrochloride.
Last edited by a moderator: